*Home | Products | TASC | Linux | Order | Order Status | Dealer/Affiliates | Links | Login
Wed, Dec 7th, 2022
Notice: We are currently out of stock on all models except the EliteMax and EliteXRay. Sorry for the inconvenience.

eternaLight Forum
Forums
DOS Software (12 msgs)
eternaLight (273 msgs)
eternaLight Q&A (134 msgs)
Gauss Gun, physics, science (23 msgs)
LINUX, love and life. (3 msgs)
Nevada Politics (7 msgs)
World Politics (20 msgs)
Forum Rules and Policy

Contact Info:

EternaLights, LLC
Sales and Repair
1711 Maple Road
Defiance, IA 51527
(712) 627-4603
Mon-Fri: 9am-4pm Central

EMAIL US

Technology Associates Inc.(remembered)
The EternaLight assets of Technology Associates, Inc.
have been transfered to EternaLights, LLC. All orders and services issues will be handled by them.

History:
In 1992, Thomas Hoops and Derone Bryson founded Technology Associates. In 1994, their partnership incorporated under the name of Technology Associates, Inc. Between 1993 and 2000, Technology Associates successfully operated a small chain of computer stores in the Reno/Sparks area which sold and serviced computers.
Technology Associates was also one of the founding investors in Great Basin Internet Services (GBIS), Northern Nevada's Largest Independent internet service provider. In 1998, TA divested itself of GBIS. In 2000, TA divested itself of it's retail stores to pursue manufacturing of the EternaLight flashlight and other related and unrelated products developed by Thomas Hoops and Derone Bryson. In 2007, the organization formerly known as Technology Associates, Inc., founded by Thomas Hoops and Derone Bryson in 1992 ceased to exist.

This site is still a functioning sales platform for the EternaLight products manufactured and sold by EternaLights, LLC. However, the remainder of the site remains as it was in it's finality before the closing of Technology Associates, Inc.

Today Mr. Bryson is privately employed as a Software Engineer. Mr. Hoops is privately employed in a manufacturing company as it's CTO. After working together since 1990, through their various projects and partnerships, Mr. Hoops and Mr. Bryson are still best friends and continue to explore new opportunities together.

EMAIL FOUNDER

eternaLight Forum
EternaLight announcements, comments, boasts and distractions :)
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. Technology Associates, Inc. is not responsible for what they say.
[ Back to top ]
Small eternalight problem!
by OrezzerO on Tue, Dec 4th, 2001 03:00:09 UTC
I bought 10 X-ray eternalights last christmas for friends and they were a smashing hit!

Just about everyone that did not receive one from me has purchased one for themselves.

The only problem is that the rubber stick on pad with the power, mode, and adjust buttons have started peeling away from the plastic and will not stay put.

A few of them are used outside quite regularly, but the others have always been pampered in air conditioned houses.

All of the people who received the lights have reported the same problem.

Is there a recommended way to strip and re-glue the pad or do you sell replacements?

Discouraged but still loyal,

-Jeff

Re: Small eternalight problem!
    by OrezzerO on Tue, Dec 4th, 2001 03:00:09 UTC
    Whoops,

I just read in the Q&A that you had a few lights sent out with the wrong adhesive but are willing to send replacement pads!

Thanks for the support, I will get my receipt together and contact you tomorrow.

Thanks!

-Jeff

Re: Small eternalight problem!
    by tomh on Tue, Dec 4th, 2001 03:02:00 UTC
    Jeff,

We appologise for your problem. A batch of membranes which were applied to Ergos and ErgoXRays had a problem with the adhesive which the membrane manufacturer did not tell us about until some had been applied to the Ergos and ErgoXRays. We can send you replacements which do not have this problem. The peel off and stick on just like a sticker. You must email us, please do not use this forum for you personal information.

Thanks you.

Brass inserts
by webster on Tue, Dec 4th, 2001 03:00:07 UTC
I just got my first EternaLight the other day. I have the EliteXRay and love it! I just wondered if any other models have brass inserts for the screws like the EliteXRay. I should be getting my second one soon, I'm hooked!

Webster...

Re: Brass inserts
    by tomh on Tue, Dec 4th, 2001 01:00:03 UTC
    Webster, all I can for now is wait until the middle of the month ;)

Re: Brass inserts
    by derry on Tue, Dec 4th, 2001 02:00:03 UTC
    Only the "Elite" series have the brass inserts, the "Ergo" series does not. As Tom said, watch for new Elite models coming soon.

"Preset" for initial brightness
by roybishop on Mon, Dec 3rd, 2001 22:00:00 UTC
I really like my eternalights and frequently use them when getting up in the middle of the night at home, when traveling and camping. The initial brightness when I turn it on is quite glaring before I can turn it down.

I would like to see a mode when I can "preset" the initial turn-on brightness. Then I can later turn it up if desired as my eyes become accustomed to the light.

Thanks!

Re:
    by tomh on Tue, Dec 4th, 2001 01:00:03 UTC
    You're not the only person with an application for this feature. We may make some sort of provision for it in the future but expect to see anything for at least 3 months.

Attention: Elite XRay Owners
by leowong on Sun, Dec 2nd, 2001 18:02:01 UTC
hi fellow Elite owners,

just wanted to share a happy mini discovery about our great Eternalights - there's a couple more functions *not* mentioned in the manual!

function 1:
activate the night beacon mode so that it is constant-on (ie. not blinking). now, press the mode button. notice the increase in the blue nightbeacon's LED intesity? almost double!

function 2:
deactivate the night beacon completely, so that it is off altogether in the dark. now, press the mode button. the blue LED comes on! this is like a pulse/momentary mode for that blue LED!

give yours a try and see if it works for you. i have 2 Elites and they both work like this, so i'm sure its not a defect. late model XRay owners *may* have this too. good luck and have fun!

Re: Attention: Elite XRay Owners
    by tomh on Mon, Dec 3rd, 2001 00:02:01 UTC
    FYI, this is not a defect. It was a side effect of the design we decided to leave it place as it proved useful for some people. We just never bothered to document it. Thanks!

Product Improvement Input
by Richard on Sun, Dec 2nd, 2001 18:01:07 UTC
I have several(6) of your great Eternalights and I find more uses for them every day. When I first started using one I noticed three things that I wanted to change immediately. The first was the ability to attach the light to a clip so that it could be belt mounted or clipped onto a baseball cap. I used velcro(the industrial version) and it works great. I immediately wanted a magnet on the unit to allow attaching to metal objects, like a car for night repairs / warning; you fixed that with the Ergo model 4 Elite - Works great!!

I wanted it to stand up on end for many night time duties and you provided that also with the Ergo 4 Elite. The most basic problem however has not been addressed: The 4 totally exposed LEDs are blinding in the dark when you first turn on the light. You could redesign the case (costly) to slightly recess the LEDs to correct this "glaring" oversight and give further protection to the LEDs. You really only need to shield light from the top that the user sees and leave the bottom open. This may reduce the viewing angle for emergency flasher applications a bit. Another alternative is a snap-on white diffuser (or a shield )on the end allowing a much less glaring light for the vast majority of uses and the option of sliding it off (or back)when the widest possible viewing angle is needed. I'll bet you are already working on it.

Richard

Re: Product Improvement Input
    Your suggestion is somewhat popular. When the opportunity arises for us to make such an attachment, we shall! In the meantime, I might suggest that you try fabricating a small opaque or blck sleeve which fits over the top. My first thought would be a large rubber band like a section from an inner tube.

Thanks!!!

EternaLight product for PDA's
by Maximo on Sun, Dec 2nd, 2001 17:00:01 UTC
I love my EternaLight guys and I'm always telling my wife that your shop is the first place will hit the next time we head up to Reno. Here's a thought that I wondered about for awhile: Would you be willing to make even a 1 bulb unit for a Handspring PDA? I ask this due to the poor backlight feature on my handheld. The expansion slot offers a place to slide the module in, and it could even contain it own battery to boost performance. I would recommend a swivel head that you could use either as a screen light or a flash light. I'm sorry I don't know more about the specs or programing information that would be needed to run the light, I just thought how much I would love to see something like this on my PDA. Keep up the good work!

Re: EternaLight product for PDA's
    You know, we had this idea about a year ago but just sort of discussed it as a joke and never took it serious. However, you make a good point. Hmmmm.... need more money - can't build things fast enough here!

add new features
by juliusuzu on Sun, Dec 2nd, 2001 12:02:00 UTC
hello i have just purchased the eternallight x-ray i have to say its not a bad product.but i think what would make it better(it's probably been mentioned before)is a battery compartment.i can see the purpose of using screws but if the light goes and you hae no screw driver it could be a real problem.also an lcd display would help in showing the settings that you have.also a timer or light sensor so that it would come on at dusk and switch of at dawn and also a movement detector would be nice as will,all these this would add to the value of the product.but it's still a great product just needs slight improvement thanks

julius uzu

Re: add new features
    Some interesting suggestions - will ponder. Thanks!!!

Incredible Eternalights !
by leowong on Sun, Dec 2nd, 2001 06:02:03 UTC
Just bought a M3 Ergo today (at a premium of almost 80%!!!) from a local dealer and just ordered the Elite XRay online! That's 2 in less than 24 hours! Also have a VersaLux on order about a couple of days earlier... fantastic stuff - all of it!

Even then, here r a couple of wishes for future Eternalight models:

- Socketed LEDs for rapid user LED changes. This would mean EZ upgrades (eg. brighter LEDs, self-color matching...etc). It would also make a single unit flexible enough for multiple 'missions', say being able to swap out some/all white LEDs for other colors(maybe even UV or IR?).

- Socketed uP memory. This = custom programming! Dunno if this crosses proprietary boundaries, but there will be hobbyists out there who could program in special signals for various purposes (research, custom signalling...etc). Could even be the 'engine' for embedding in non-flashlight signalling devices (eg. beacons...etc). Truly a *personal* light, then...

Just my $0.02/- ...

Thanks for making such a great thingy!

Re: Incredible Eternalights !
    by derry on Sun, Dec 2nd, 2001 01:00:06 UTC
    | - Socketed LEDs for rapid user LED changes.
    | This would mean EZ upgrades (eg. brighter LEDs,
    | self-color matching...etc). It would also make
    | a single unit flexible enough for
    | multiple 'missions', say being able to swap out
    | some/all white LEDs for other colors(maybe even
    | UV or IR?).

We have thought about this and really haven't come with a good way to do it yet with the gasket and all.

| - Socketed uP memory. This = custom
    | programming! Dunno if this crosses proprietary
    | boundaries, but there will be hobbyists out
    | there who could program in special signals for
    | various purposes (research, custom
    | signalling...etc). Could even be the 'engine'
    | for embedding in non-flashlight signalling
    | devices (eg. beacons...etc). Truly a
    | *personal* light, then...

Every few months or so we discuss this one with the usual idea being using a microcontroller with programmable flash memory and a special programming socket on the circuit board and a cable and software package available separately. Never know, it might happen.

Thanks,

Derry

Model 4X Elitexray
by Lawdog on Sun, Dec 2nd, 2001 05:01:03 UTC
I 'may' have been the first online order for the new Model 4X. I can't wait to receive them (yes, I ordered 2!!!!) This will give me 6 Eternalights plus a ZZZLite. . .am I the only Eternalight sicko out there or what??? I may need counseling!!! Looking forward to receiving the new model. . .if it lives up to the others, I know I will love it.

BTW, I would like to get a case to carry the new model. . .will the Model 3 carrying case work? If so, please let me know when you have some in stock.

Re: Model 4X Elitexray
    by derry on Sun, Dec 2nd, 2001 01:00:06 UTC
    Yes, the Model 3 pouch will work with the EliteXRay. We are not sure when we will have them in stock, however.

Thanks.

Derry

Re: Model 4X Elitexray
    by Floydney on Mon, Dec 3rd, 2001 22:00:05 UTC
    You're not the only EternaLight-obsessive out there. I've got one of nearly every model, too
    (including GW and RW options). And I'm about to order a Zzz...Flame to go with my Zzz...Lite.

New Option Request
by Richard on Sun, Dec 2nd, 2001 03:02:02 UTC
Hello Techass Engineering,

I have 3 models of the Eternalight but need specific features from each of them. I REALLY like the well-engineered features of these lights. Can I order the following configuration: An Ergo 3 Marine (high visibility yellow color and Lithium) with the RW software but using ALL White leds (WW- option). I also want the 8000 mcd white leds planned for the Elite. I rarely need full brightness at turn-on; so 2 leds are perfect for startup point and the ideal solution for conserving power in general use. With only one additional button push I am at full power when needed.
You may say"Geeezz." or something worse,BUT,I would also (I think) like the improved Elite case style with the built in magnet and SS screws.

PLEEZE can I order it!!!

Another BSEE type

Re: New Option Request
    by derry on Sun, Dec 2nd, 2001 11:00:04 UTC
    As far as getting a special unit with RW/GW software but all white lights, we can certainly do that. Just order a Marine RW/GW and just specify that you want all white LED's in the Comments/Notes field when ordering online or place your order by phone. It may take a day or two extra.

As far as the case, I don't want to comment on the availabilty of an EliteMarine (yellow case), but I would suggest contacting us a month or month and a half from now :)

Model 4 Elite Xray
by arabbitte on Sun, Dec 2nd, 2001 00:00:07 UTC
Hi there,

Over in the Candle Power Forums (the specific thread is at Click Here ), there is talk of a new Eternalight - the Model 4 Elite Xray.

I see no details of this on your website. Can you tell us any more? All I know is that it will have 4 LEDs - brighter than the current LEDs, a more rugged & waterproof case and stainless steel screws and better battery contacts.

Will there be different logic to drive the LEDs
What size/weight is it
What "form factor" is it. Upright or more like the current horizontal setup
Where/When can I buy it (I live in Dublin, Ireland - what is the shipping costs)

I'm getting excited just thinking about it!

Cheers,
Alan

Re: Model 4 Elite Xray
    by Lawdog on Sat, Dec 1st, 2001 23:00:09 UTC
    If this new product is true. . .please let me know when they are available!!!

Re: Model 4 Elite Xray
    by tomh on Sun, Dec 2nd, 2001 00:00:07 UTC
    Alan, it is true, we have a new higher-end unit due out any day now. Rather than regurgitate the features and changes here, I must say... keep watching our website - there will be pictures and full nudity shots that sould answer all your questions!

Mounting of EternaLights
by djbenno on Sat, Dec 1st, 2001 20:01:04 UTC
I've got a 3X EternaLight, and it's great. I'm a rock climber/mountaineer/backpacker who, when I go on climbs, leave behind the TechAss products in favour of a Princeton Tec Matrix because it stays put on my head/helmet. When you're sitting on a rock face, literally thousands of feet off the deck, "velcro it to a ballcap" just doesn't cut it. If I attempted this solution, even with lithiums, it would be raining EternaLights on the squirrels below. So with your new case design that's due out soon (you know the one that stands upright and has the magnet, and 8,000mcd LED's) will you have a more viable method for all those of us that need a mounting solution more solid than Velcro? The magnet is a good idea, but still seems as useful as the Velcro suggestion. How about a mounting system that would allow the case to be SECURELY mounted to such things as 3-strap headbands, climbing/speleo helmets, bike handlebars, etc? I've seen the question posed again and again, so it seems there's some obvious interest out there. Thanks

Re: Mounting of EternaLights
    by tomh on Sun, Dec 2nd, 2001 00:00:08 UTC
    Yes, our new Elite series has a magnet in the base and that is the principle point we will be working from for future mounting alternatives. Under the magnet is a smooth surface which may be used also in special situations or by... improvisors.

Re: Mounting of EternaLights
      by Empath on Sun, Dec 2nd, 2001 07:01:00 UTC
      | Yes, our new Elite series has a magnet in the base and that is the principle point we will be working from for future mounting alternatives. Under the magnet is a smooth surface which may be used also in special situations or by... improvisors.

Are you saying that #&*(### magnet is going to be on all your forthcoming products? Even though it will severly restrict where you can carry them, or lay them down. Magnets destroy data.

area lamp/stand accessory
by droset on Sat, Dec 1st, 2001 15:01:06 UTC
First, what a GREAT product you have made!

I like cheschaz's suggestion about a stronger latern-type device, but my idea is a little different; I hope you pursue both the lantern idea and the one I'm proposing.

How about a small diffusion element that snaps on the front of the eternaLight? Something like a translucent cap. You could make a white one for a usable small area lamp (like the ZZZ...lamp, I know, but one wouldn't have to carry both). A red cap would easily turn the eternaLight into a full-featured night vision preserving light. I realize you make a red LED version but a simple translucent red cap might fill the market niche between people who are willing to buy one eternaLight but can't quite swing two. Also, if the cap were form fitting and had a fairly positive hold on the light's case it might (?) be able to be stored on the lanyard end of the body.

I think a white or red diffusion cap with an accompanying base (to hold the light upright)would be a big seller. This would be a simple, low-tech conversion to the light that would add functionality and be a relatively low cost optional accessory. I realize injection molds require a steep front-end cost but once the mold is made... :o) I think the Maglite accessory packs sell very well and are highly profitable because they do not involve additional electrical (in your case electronic/chip)costs. Mull it over!

Re: area lamp/stand accessory
    by tomh on Sun, Dec 2nd, 2001 00:00:07 UTC
    Yes, well, while we haven't screwed ourselves out this possibility with our design, it is a bit more complicated. It seems a mounting fixture is the first demand so that has... financial priority.
    Thanks!

AWESOME!!!
by mturpen on Sat, Dec 1st, 2001 13:02:02 UTC
I recently received the X-Ray model I won from the random drawing, and I have to say that I am extremely impressed with the unit.

Even the box it came in, with the form-fitting foam cutout to hold the Eternalight securely yet allow easy removal, and the nice printed instruction sheet, speak of quality.

The unit itself is just amazingly bright, getting wows out of everyone that sees it. Some of the functions are a bit "goofy" to some, but everyone has loved the dimming feature.

I particularly like how I can press the "Mode" button with the unit off, making the internal LED light up. After my eyes have become dark adjusted, that light is more than enough to find my way to the restroom, or get to the kitchen to find a snack.

I have been evangelizing this unit all over the place, maybe you'll see the orders start pouring in....

Love 'em
by Lawdog on Sat, Dec 1st, 2001 13:01:02 UTC
I have viewed your products from afar for quite some time. I recently purchased my first Eternalight (X-ray). Shortly thereafter I acquired another X-ray and two Marine models. Also bought a ZZZ-Lite as soon as I saw they were available. Obviously I love the Eternalights ( and may get even more in the future)!!! The ZZZ-Lite is amazing. So simple, yet amazing!!! Keep it up!!

Re: Love 'em
    by tomh on Sat, Dec 1st, 2001 13:02:01 UTC
    Uhuhuhmmmm. Well, thank you!

[ Back to top | More messages ]

Note: you must be logged in to post or reply.
Use the contacts in the left column to contact the webmaster.

Unless specifically noted, all pictures and graphics may be visually enhanced for marketing purposes and should not be used as a basis for determination of performance.
Copyright © 1998-2004 Technology Associates, Inc. All Rights Reserved. All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective owners.